Chronic Ankle Swelling Specialist

Chronic Ankle Swelling Specialist, John W. Scivally, D.P.M., F.A.C.F.A.S. & Robin K. Lie, D.P.M.

Have your ankles been swollen for months? If so, then it may be chronic, but you’ll be able to find relief with us at Bay Area Foot and Ankle Associates. Here you’ll find a chronic ankle swelling specialist. We serve patients from Walnut Creek CA, Brentwood CA, Concord CA, Pleasant Hill CA, Pittsburg CA, Antioch CA, Alamo CA, Danville CA, and Oakley CA.

Chronic Ankle Swelling Specialist Near Me in Walnut Creek, CA and Brentwood, CA
Chronic Ankle Swelling Specialist Near Me in Walnut Creek, CA and Brentwood, CA

Why has my ankle been swollen for months?

Swelling is normal with an issue like an ankle sprain, but swelling for over three months isn’t normal. In the case of a sprained ankle, it can take a number of months for the swelling to go away, but if the swelling is lasting longer than three months, it may be because of another issue like something inside the joint that’s irritating the synovium. In other cases, ankle swelling may be a sign of a more serious issue like liver, kidney, or heart disease, or even heart failure. Regardless, it’s important to see a professional about the issue.

If your ankle was injured or is diseased, and has been swollen for over three months, then this swelling is considered chronic, and it may need to be treated differently than normal swelling. We can help you here at Bay Area Foot and Ankle Associates. You can and should call us today for professional advice about how to proceed.

How do you treat chronic ankle swelling?

There are some things you can do to relieve your swelling in the short-term, but chronic swelling can only be addressed in the long-term by a professional. You can soak your feet in cool water, drink plenty of water, rest with your legs elevated, wear support stockings, and perform simple walking/leg exercises to help with the swelling. Again, though, these measures aren’t long-term solutions.

To treat chronic ankle swelling, a professional will have to determine the underlying cause. For example, the cause of your chronic swelling may be a tiny fracture or a ligament injury. We’re able to address issues like these and others here at Bay Area Foot and Ankle Associates and even provide surgery when necessary. In some patient cases, one or more of the following treatments will help:

  • Pain relief medication
  • Sports taping, elastic bandaging, bracing, or casting
  • Physical therapy
  • Surgery when necessary, like to fix a ligament that won’t otherwise heal
  • And other treatments

What kind of doctor should I see for swollen ankles?

You could go see your primary care physician about the matter, and you may need to if you believe your swelling could be attributed to liver, kidney, or heart disease, or heart failure. But if your problem is localized to your ankles, like a problem caused by an injury or a condition like arthritis, then you should come see a podiatrist here at Bay Area Foot and Ankle Associates. Unless you have an HMO insurance, you don’t need a referral to see a podiatrist, and one is more than capable of helping you with chronic ankle swelling. If you’re not sure what could be causing your swelling, you can call us at Bay Area Foot and Ankle Associates.

Do you have a chronic ankle swelling specialist in Walnut Creek, CA?

Yes! Bay Area Foot and Ankle Associates has fully capable podiatrists and chronic ankle swelling specialists who can help you with your pain and swelling. Our professionals are Dr. John W. Scivally DPM FACFAS and Dr. Robin K. Lie DPM. Either one would be happy to see you at either of our two locations in Walnut Creek. Please see our Locations page for the location nearest you and that location’s contact information. Call us today or book a consultation with us online!