You cannot copy content of this website, your IP is being recorded
Running Injury Specialist

Running Injury Treatment Specialist Q&A

Here at Bay Area Foot and Ankle Associates, we believe that everyone deserves proper foot and ankle care so that they can get back to their happy, healthy lifestyle. Below we’ve gathered some information about running injuries and how a podiatrist could help you. We have convenient locations to serve you in Walnut Creek, CA, and Brentwood, CA. For more information, call us now.

Running Injury Treatment Specialist Near Me in Walnut Creek, CA and Brentwood, CA
Running Injury Treatment Specialist Near Me in Walnut Creek, CA and Brentwood, CA

Table of Contents:

What doctor treats running injuries?
What is the most common injury in runners?
How long does a running injury take to heal?
When should I go to the doctor for a running injury?

Foot and ankle injuries are common for sprinters, endurance runners, trail runners, and hurdlers. Even casual joggers and runners can accidentally twist their ankles or over-exert themselves. Currently, we are providing foot care services in Walnut Creek and Brentwood. If you’re experiencing foot or ankle pain, discomfort, swelling, bruising, or any other irregularities, give us a call or book an appointment online with one of our highly qualified sports podiatrists.

What doctor treats running injuries?

The type of doctor needed to treat your running injury will be highly dependent on what type of injury you have. For example, a general sports medicine doctor is trained in areas such as exercise-induced asthma, mystery sports ailments, and fatigue, whereas an orthopedist is trained specifically in injuries affecting bones, tendons, muscles, and ligaments.
A foot or ankle injury should be treated by sports podiatrists who are trained to diagnose injuries such as stress fractures and sprained ankles. Podiatrists also have the education required to perform complex foot and ankle surgeries and provide care throughout the process of physical therapy and rehabilitation.

What is the most common injury in runners?

Runners can struggle with numerous foot and ankle-related injuries. There are 26 bones, over 100 tendons, and 33 joints in your foot that are susceptible to injury. Whether you have an accident while running or are simply wearing the wrong shoes, an injury can occur.
Here are a few of the most common foot and ankle injuries associated with running:
Stress Fractures
Stress fractures are common among runners, dancers, and other high-impact sports. They cause a small, but a very painful crack in the bone that will cause pain and swelling in your foot.
Plantar Fasciitis
Plantar fasciitis causes pain around your heel and across the bottom of your foot. The pain is most active in the morning and stems from the plantar fascia. This is a common foot injury in runners and jobs requiring you to be on your feet all day.
Ankle Sprains
Ankle sprains happen when you strain or twist your ankle. Torn ankle ligaments can make it difficult to walk and place pressure on your foot. In mild cases, rest, ice, and ankle stretches can heal your sprain within a couple of weeks.
Sesamoiditis starts at the ball of your foot and can potentially injure surrounding tissue, tendons, and bones if not treated properly. It typically begins with strains from golf and running.
Other running-related injuries include Achilles tendonitis, neuromas, bunions, and heel spurs.

How long does a running injury take to heal?

Unfortunately, there isn’t exactly one set amount of time required to heal running injuries. Minor injuries should only take two weeks to heal while more severe running injuries can take upwards of a year. A common mistake runners make is pushing through the pain. Runners are extremely mentally tough, but when your body is saying no, you have to listen. A small ankle sprain can quickly turn into a trip to a surgeon if it is not rested. The key to quick recovery time is not only listening to your podiatrist’s advice but actually implementing it.

When should I go to the doctor for a running injury?

You should schedule an appointment with your doctor or with a podiatrist if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:

– Severe pain
– Swelling
– Inability to place pressure on your foot and/or walk
– Have any signs of an infection such as tenderness and warmth
– Have had prior foot injuries
– Numbness

So if you are searching for Foot and ankle surgery in the Bay Area, look no further. The Bay Area Foot and Ankle Associates, your specialists in foot care. We serve patients from Walnut Creek CA, Brentwood CA, Concord CA, Pleasant Hill CA, Antioch CA, Danville CA, Pittsburg CA, Alamo CA, and Oakley CA.